Monday, August 30, 2010

Reminder: Citywide kindergarten celebration at Children's Museum on Tuesday

I just wanted to remind folks about Countdown to Kindergarten's citywide kindergarten celebration at the Children's Museum tomorrow from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. We won't be there 1) because I have to work and 2) because I avoid major crowds when possible and I hear this thing is usually packed. On the other hand, it's free. Have your child wear their yellow I'm Going to Kindergarten T-shirt.

We checked out the kindergarten classroom exhibit in the museum earlier this month. It was okay, but it would have been better with an adult facilitating activities. Plus, it's tough to compete with the Peep and the Big Wide World exhibit next door. For at least one 4-year-old, Peep will win every time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to all of you who are sending your children to kindergarten. Many years ago I did the same, and it's one of the bigger milestones in raising children and sending them out into the world.

My one piece of advice (based on my own experience) for kindergarten parents is the following:

Sometime after the first two full weeks of school, if your schedule permits, call the school and arrange to spend an hour or two (preferably before lunch) visiting your child's classroom.

When you do, find a quiet corner to sit in and observe what's happening.

Not only did doing that reassure me that my children were fine, it helped me understand what they were talking about when they came home each day.

Enjoy the end of summer!