Tuesday, July 13, 2010

We caught a break on school uniforms

Much of this school assignment process has been very bureaucratic and headache-inducing. But this one time, we seemed to have lucked out. Countdown to Kindergarten has a chart listing the uniform requirements for each school.

It turns out that the school we're in and the school we have a low waitlist number for have very similar uniform requirements. So at least I won't have to buy school uniforms in one color only to return them and buy new uniforms if my son gets into the second school.  At this point, we're thankful for small favors.

If anyone has tips for where to stock up on navy blue pants and white tops this summer, I'd appreciate it. What do boys do in the winter? Just wear white button-down shirts? That doesn't seem warm enough. Do they wear long-sleeved undershirts? Forgive my ignorance. We're used to surviving winter in zip-up hoodies.

8 comments:

Laura said...

You might want to call the school for confirmation. I know our school (Sumner) said that they allow khaki bottoms as well which isn't on that list. I saw a sale on uniforms at The Children's Place the other day so have been thinking of this and wondering where to get them. I heard there is a place on the Am Leg Pkwy, I think. And the place in Rosi Square, of course. I remember seeing the kids wearing navy cardigans at some of the school visits this winter. As a knitter, I am hoping other things are allowed as well!

Anonymous said...

You can buy uniform pats and shirts at Target and Sears as well as the stores that Laura mentioned. My daughter usually wears a turtleneck under her uniform shirt in the winter. I've also seen boys wearing cardigans or sweater vests. They are so cute dressed on their first day! Enjoy :)

POPS said...

Target, L&M's, Savers, AJ Wright

Geeky Mama said...

Thanks for the tips everyone. Also, good advice on calling the school just to be sure, Laura.

Suzanne said...

Before buying a lot of uniform clothes, I'd check to see if the uniforms really are worn much in the lower grades, or at all. Our school has a mandatory uniform policy, but often when my son was there, only a few kids in his class actually wore one. My daughter has fairly severe special needs and is not toilet trained, and so she is not always in a standard uniform getup either.

Kathy said...

L&M Bargain on American Legion Highway also has reasonably priced uniform clothing. It's in the big shopping center.

Anonymous said...

Also since most schools have a dress code not a uniform, you don't have to buy stiff, starched uniform pants...we got lots of stuff last year at old navy and H&M and in the regular section of the store. Not uniform specific. Also crazy 8's has cheap stuff.

In the winter, our school was hot. So we'd send our son to school with short sleeves under his winter coat.

Good luck!

Nora said...

When I was at the Haley six years ago, hoodies and sweaters were fine in the winter. The same was true when I was at the Bates. They want children to follow the dress code, but they don't want them to be cold. Also, most schools don't require stiff uniform pants and collared shirts...navy blue sweatpants and a white t-shirt would probably be just as acceptable.