Earlier this month, they were still facing a $3.5 million gap. Here are some of their proposed changes:
- Eliminating the equivalent of 55 full-time positions in the schools (11 teachers, 43 other staff).
- Reducing the spending per pupil.
- Deferring building maintenance.
- Having elementary and middle school walk farther to bus stops. The number of bus stops will be reduced.
- Having middle school students take MBTA buses rather than school buses if they live close to a T stop.
- Turning the heat down (This is one I fully support. Some of those schools feel like a sauna in the winter.).
The school committee will have a budget hearing at 5 p.m. (26 Court Street, Downtown) before their regular meeting and the budget vote.