Monday, March 8, 2010

It's nearly mid-March...

Well, this will likely be an interesting week for us parents. BPS lottery results are expected to be mailed out soon, and some of the charter schools will hold their lotteries this week. Will the BPS lottery computer be benevolent or will it be a HAL 9000? "I'm sorry, Kelly. I'm afraid I can't do that." [Unassigned.]

I wish BPS was set up to email lottery results to families, or to at least give us the option of mail vs. email notification when we register. You'd think they'd save a lot on postage, not to mention the time the Family Resource Centers devote to fielding calls from anxious parents.

Speaking of anxious parents, I've tried to keep myself occupied lately and not obsess over my K1 choices. What's done is done. So I've caught up on a lot of reading, including TC Boyle's The Women and, embarrassingly, a certain series of teenage vampire novels. I'm nearing the end of my library cache, and I wouldn't mind any recommendations for new novels. I suppose I'm due for a good narrative non-fiction too. Any suggestions? I really need to keep my mind busy this week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOOO nervous as a mom to a soon to be K2 student who got NOTHING last year....We found out on a Thursday last year....this Thursday maybe??

Anonymous said...

If you find your mind is too caught up with school thoughts to leave the topic fully behind, I have two excellent non-fiction book suggestions. Have you read "Mother on Fire" by Sandra Tsing Loh? It's a hilarious, mostly true account of a mom in LA trying to find the right school for her daughter. My other recommendation would be "Whatever it Takes" by Paul Tough about the Harlem Children's Zone.

Geeky Mama said...

Anonymous #1, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Anonymous #2, thanks for the tips. I _loved_ Mother on Fire. It was one of the inspirations for this blog. I'll definitely check out Whatever It Takes.

Anonymous said...

Have you read Unequal childhoods : class, race, and family life by Annette Lareau? Very easy to read, though not lightweight. The BPL has it.

massappeal said...

Perspective, perspective, perspective. (Easier said than done, as I know from painful experience.)

Thirty years from now, whether your child got into K1 or not is probably not going to make a huge difference in his/her life.

Thirty years from now, whether your child got into your first, second or third choice school probably won't have mattered a lot.

As long as you've done your homework, and you've found 3-5 schools that are "good enough" (i.e., kids seem safe, teachers are teaching and students are learning) for your child, then you've done your job as a parent.

P.S. Good luck!

Geeky Mama said...

You're right, massappeal. Of course, you're right. Thanks for the reminder.