Tuesday, January 12, 2010

“Godspeed” indeed. Our K1 registration is complete.

“Godspeed,” my husband said to me as I left the house Monday to register our son for kindergarten. He didn’t know how right he was.

Because in the amount of time it took me to register, I could have launched in a rocket, circled the Earth once, and splashed down in the ocean. Instead, I spent a lovely two hours in the DMV-like Family Resource Center Monday morning. Believe it or not, I had preregistered online using BPSExpress. “Express” may be a bit of a stretch, but I’m certain I would have been there longer had I not preregistered.

I think my mistake was coming on a Monday morning. Perhaps the crowds thin out later in the week. Just in case, bring a book or a friend, or both.

When it was finally my turn, we didn’t have any major paperwork problems. My son isn’t yet 4, so he hasn’t had his 4-year vaccinations. I brought his vaccination records from his 3-year visit. I don’t think it’s necessary, but it seemed to put the person processing me at ease.

I hit a minor snag when I brought an online bank statement showing our mortgage payment. Instead of listing the date the payment was processed, the payment was so recent that it still said “pending.” The FRC person wasn’t too keen on that. Luckily, I had a back-up paper statement with a date on it.

After you register, they give you a children’s book (we got Zen Ties) and a literacy calendar that’s pretty cool. Every month, the calendar recommends a different book to read with your child and then they can draw a picture of their favorite part of the story on the calendar.

As far as our list of schools goes, I don’t think I would be doing myself any favors by posting our list in its entirety before the lottery. I will say that we listed 17 options, two of which I haven’t yet visited.

Overall, I’m very relieved to have this part behind us. I’m not feeling any regrets about our choices … yet. Now I feel like I should check out some charter schools (plan B). Their deadlines are approaching as well. I’ve listed some of them in this calendar. We have an appointment to visit the Conservatory Lab Charter School in Brighton on Friday. We’ll see how that goes.

3 comments:

Googie Baba said...

We went in the middle of the week, middle of the day, and we still had a long wait. I agree that it is a lot like the DMV. Good luck with your school choices. I am really glad to have this done as well. Our registration is in and our fingers are crossed.

Anonymous said...

Don't judge a schools diversity by the faces of its' children. Our ethnic back grounds are no longer written in the color of our skin.

Geeky Mama said...

Well said, Anon.