She also provided sketches of what might happen at the 14 underperforming “turnaround schools.” Here were some of her recommendations to the school committee:
- “Fresh Start” at 6 schools, meaning that every employee must reapply for their position.
- Merge 2 schools with 2 higher performing schools, turning them into K-8s.
- Remove teachers who are ineffective.
- Create an RFP to find “highly effective charter management organizations and innovative models from BPS teachers to operate schools serving students with persistent achievement gaps.”
- Work with existing charter schools in professional development and technical assistance.
For more details on the meeting, see this story from the Boston Globe.