Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The plan

My son will be eligible to join a K1 class in the fall of 2010. We’re getting a head start on the whole school selection process so it won’t be so overwhelming when we do it for real next fall. (Also, I just get slightly obsessive about these things and am trying to channel my energy/anxiety into something productive.)

I plan to go to as many school previews as possible, focusing on schools within our walk zone and schools I’ve heard about that pique my curiosity. In case you’re new to this process, a walk zone school has to be within 1 or sometimes 1.5 miles of your home if the school also has middle school students. BPS has a handy website that lets you type in your address and see your walk zone schools. Fifty percent of a school’s students must live within the walk zone. Our walk zone schools are Bates, Conley, Lyndon, Mozart, and Sumner. But first up on the open house schedule is the illustrious, highly-touted, testing-off-the-charts Kilmer school. Parents, stop salivating. It’s just a school.

I may also post occasional news stories about the school system that may (or may not) be relevant to the selection process. For instance, I know the Boston School Committee plans to meet tonight and may discuss potential changes, like increasing the percent of students within a school’s walk zone from 50% to 60%. You should be able to watch it live online from 6-8 p.m. Stay tuned.

I actually missed the first meeting of the West Zone Parents Group. It’s a great resource for parents considering BPS. I think my absence had something to do with my husband working late hours that week. Hopefully, I’ll make the next one and report back.

No comments: